Will continued attacks by the Taliban stop peace talks in Afghanistan?
Taliban militants kill six security personnel Wednesday in an unusual attack in the southern Afghan city of Kandahar. The day before, the Taliban killed more than a dozen security personnel in an attack.
The attacks came at a time when peace efforts were also under way in Afghanistan.
According to international media, the Taliban attack on Wednesday dug a 500-meter-long tunnel beneath a military base, planting explosives and destroying part of the base.
The BBC Afghan Service, however, spoke to the local commander, who denied reports that the attack was carried out with explosives underneath a tunnel.
Taliban spokesman Qari Yusuf Ahmadi said not only 35 personnel were killed in the operation but they also managed to destroy a huge reserve of ammunition and ammunition at the base.
Talks with the Taliban
The next round of talks between the Taliban and the United States is expected in the Saudi city of Jeddah in the next few days.
Earlier, Zalmay Khalilzad, the US special envoy for peace in Afghanistan, and the Taliban leaders have held their first visit to the United Arab Emirates.
Earlier, some prominent Taliban leaders, including Mullah Abdul Ghani Baradar, were also released from Pakistan.
According to BBC Pashto Service correspondent Dawood Azmi, violent acts in Afghanistan may intensify in the coming days.
According to Dawood Azmi, President Ashraf Ghani has nothing to do with the rise in violent acts of former secretaries of Afghan intelligence agencies Imran Amrullah Saleh and Asadullah Khalid, respectively, to appoint the interior minister and defense minister.
Neither of these attacks is related to the recent informal announcement of the US military’s withdrawal from Afghanistan.
According to him, fights and negotiations will go well, but it seems likely that actions will be taken by both US forces and the Taliban before any possible ceasefire, so that their position at the negotiating table is stronger and better. Brothers can do Tao.
Withdrawal of US Army
Dawood Azmi said that no clear announcement has yet been made by the US on how much of the withdrawal it will be, when it will start and for how long.
In his view, President Trump, who promised to minimize US military operations in the outside world in his election campaign, is probably trying to fulfill the same promise.
He said that every year alone, the war in Afghanistan is costing the United States $ 45 billion and they want to reduce that cost.
However, no clear statement has yet been made in this regard, which President Trump is expected to address at his annual State of the Union address this month.
According to data from an international news agency, in December last month, more than 150 security personnel, 184 civilians and several hundred militants were killed in violent operations.
Last year, a total of 14 soldiers were killed by NATO and US forces.