After US President Donald Trump announces the cancellation of peace talks with the Taliban, the Taliban has said in response that the cancellation of the talks will hurt the United States the most.
According to BBC correspondent Khudai Noor Nasir, a statement issued by Taliban spokesman Zabihullah Mujahid in response to the US president’s statement said that he was in talks with the US negotiating team to formalize the peace deal until Saturday. While preparations for the announcement were busy, September 23 marked the first day of inter-Afghan talks.
“Now when the US president announces the cancellation of talks with the Islamic Emirate, the biggest loss will be to the United States itself, their credibility will be lost, their anti-peace stance will be visible to the world and theirs. The loss of life and property will be greater. ‘
The Taliban statement said that the Taliban delegation was invited by US Special Representative to Afghanistan Zalmay Khalilzad in late August, but postponed the visit until the signing of the peace agreement. Was.
According to Taliban spokesman Zabihullah Mujahid, in the last 18 years of their struggle, they proved that unless all international forces were withdrawn from Afghanistan, they would not be satisfied with anything else.
According to him, the war will continue till the achievement of this target.
The US president wrote in his tweet that talks with the Taliban were canceled after the Kabul attack, which killed 12 people, including an American soldier.
He wrote, ‘How are these people who kill people to strengthen their bargaining position?’
In his Twitter message, the US president said, “The Taliban claimed responsibility for the Kabul attack for false interests.” How many more decades do they want to fight? ‘
Donald Trump also said, “Secret meetings with Taliban leaders at Camp David have also been canceled. Separate meetings with Taliban leaders and the Afghan president were to be held Sunday at Camp David. They were reaching the United States tonight. ‘
The US president also said in his tweet that if the Taliban cannot make a ceasefire, it means they lack the ability to make a meaningful deal.
It should be noted that the ongoing peace talks between US and Taliban representatives in Qatar’s capital Doha have come to an end.
The Afghan government said in a statement in response to the cancellation of the talks that they are committed to lasting peace. He has called on the US government to work with them to establish peace.
According to the proposed peace agreement between the United States and the Taliban, about 5,000 American troops will leave Afghanistan in 20 weeks in exchange for security guarantees by the Taliban.
There are currently about 14,000 US troops in Afghanistan.
Since the US invasion in 2001, nearly 3500 members of the international coalition have been killed in Afghanistan so far, of which more than 2300 are US troops.
On the other hand, it is difficult to estimate the number of Afghan civilians, militants and government forces killed in this war. The UN said in a February 2019 report that more than 32,000 Afghan civilians have been killed in the war so far.
Meanwhile, according to the Watson Institute at Brown University, 58,000 security personnel and 42,000 opposition fighters have been killed in the war.
It should be noted that inter-Afghan talks were to begin immediately after the signing of the peace agreement between the United States and the Taliban, including a ceasefire, future political systems of Afghanistan, constitutional amendments, government partnerships and the future of Taliban fighters. Includes discussions on issues.